Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Yeah, There's Jobs Being Created, but Can You Afford to Work at One of Them? How to Beat the Odds

At the end of this article is a link to some really important job hunting tips for the serious job hunter. They are the type of insider tips that work for everyone, whether you are looking for professional job or simply want to wash cars for a summer for some extra cash.
EDITOR


15 Signs That The Quality Of Jobs In America Is Going Downhill Really Fast

By Michael Snyder, on July 7th, 2013

Trying to find a job in America today can be an incredibly frustrating experience.  Most of the jobs that are available seem to pay very little, and there is intense competition for just about any job that is open.

But it wasn't always like this.  When I was in high school, I was immediately hired when I applied for a job at McDonalds because they were so desperate for workers that they would hire just about anyone that could flip a burger.  But in this economic environment, a single nationwide hiring event conducted by McDonalds resulted in a million job applications, and only a small percentage of those applicants were actually hired.

Our economy simply does not produce enough jobs for everyone anymore, and the percentage of "good jobs" continues to decline.  That means that it is getting really hard to find a job that will enable you to support a family, and a lot of people end up doing jobs that they are massively overqualified for.  But when times are tough, people are going to do ...


Job hunting tips from the Editor of RightPaparazzi.

There are sustaining jobs and non-sustaining jobs.

A sustaining job is one that you can actually live on; labelled by law enforcement and the courts as "Gainful Employment". A non-sustaining job is one that requires that you have a second job, or otherwise does not create enough income to pay your standard living wage.

If you are unemployed or just about to become unemployed, you might want to think for a few minutes before taking the first job available. There might be a better tactic to keep paying your bills than walk directly into Walmart or McDonalds.

Prime Job Hunting Time is Usually During the Day

Taking a minimum wage job might insure that you have a paycheck coming in ASAP, but if you are working a full day time minimum wage job, it takes up your entire working day and you have little or no time for other job hunting.  Consider your next move well, even in desperation, because it may set the tone that locks you into a situation that is even more unrecoverable than the one you're in now.

Here are some tips I learned first hand as I found myself unemployed or underemployed while pursuing my career.

Getting a night job really fast that kept my days open turned out to be a better choice than jumping into the same type of job. It depends on what you are going after. Not all night jobs are low paying. But if you are not qualified to be an RN in an ICU or Emergency Room, then maybe you could apply for house keeping in a hospital. Housekeeping positions are often fluid; they are always changing staff. However, housekeeping at a low end motel does the same kind of work but at a much lower wage than a hospital.

In a single paragraph (above), I touched on several dynamics; hospitals, motels, professional, non-professional, days, nights, sustaining jobs, non-sustaining jobs.

Also, if you take a night job that is sustaining, it leaves you open to more easier attend classes during the day.

When I was attending The Illinois Institute of Art in Schaumburg from 2001-2004 getting my BFA in Multimedia and Web Design, I also was managing and driving for a Limo Company based in the Chicago market. The wage was non-sustaining, but my wife was still working at the time. I was lucky.

But, I also had a backup plan; I can manage restaurants and we were surrounded by both fast food and full service restaurants during my school years. Because I was taking day classes, I would have been wise to go after a position as a night manager of a restaurant.

When I was younger, over three decades ago, I was working two and three jobs at a time to pay the bills. I ran the night shift at a 7-Eleven, operated the early shift at a donut shop making the donuts, slept during the day and ran the evening shift at KVON AM Radio Station in Napa, California. I wasn't able to sustain this schedule for more than about 4 months before I had to give up one of the jobs to get more sleep, but it allowed us to catch up on some bills and actually get a little ahead.

After that, I sold cars, making some easy and big money for several months while managing a Burger King in Vallejo, California.

Until I settled down to what I wanted to do with an actual career, I was hopping from job set to job set trying to pay the bills. Making the decision to stay with one thing that I was good at made all the difference in the world. What woke me up was the 911 incident on September 11th, 2001. I realized that I didn't want to be alway job hunting if our country was going to be going to war with the Islamists. I wanted to be able to make a difference while ensuring that my family was well cared for. That's when I decided to go back to school at the age of 45.

So, if you're going to go back to school, first decide what it is you are already good at and enjoy. Then, decide that you are also going to pay some or all of your school bill as you attend so that you are not strapped by college debt for the rest of your life.

Here's a great article that hands you some important job hunting tips that work for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. The editor has lifted the registration gate, so all can comment. Good conduct is expected. Since this blog deals only in truth and patriotic rhetoric, any excessive America-Hating comments can be removed, and if such persists, the poster will be blocked.